Halifax EMC is joining the National Weather Service and state officials in encouraging all North Carolinians to prepare now for storms as the Atlantic Hurricane Season officially began on June 1. Here are simple steps to get ready and stay safe this storm season:
- Outline a communication and evacuation plan for your family. If you have pets or any livestock, include them in your plan.
- Create an emergency kit that includes:
- Important documents sealed in a watertight plastic bag
- Enough non-perishable food, water and medication for at least three days
- First-aid kit
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
- Personal hygiene items
- Extra clothes and blankets
- Food and other supplies for pets
- Connect with us on Facebook to stay informed about outages and other storm information.
- Keep our outage reporting number handy: 1-800-690-0522
- Make sure we have your current telephone number and address on file. Call or email our office if you need to update your contact information.
- Sign up for local weather alerts. You can also visit ReadyNC.org for tips on preparing for natural disasters, as well as real-time weather and traffic information.
This year, it is also important to stay tuned to the latest health and safety guidelines from the CDC and local officials, and to adjust your preparedness plans accordingly to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.
Visit www.halifaxemc.com for additional storm preparedness information and tips.