Don’t Be Spooked by Scams
This Halloween, and year-round, remember the following tips to help avoid the costly effects of being duped by scammers posing to be Halifax EMC:
- Your co-op will never demand payment over the phone.
- If you receive a call, do not give out personal information such as your credit card number, account number or Social Security number. Hang up and call Halifax EMC to verify your account status.
- Don’t open suspicious emails. Instead, call Halifax EMC to report questionable activity.
- Don’t be rushed or pressured by a threatening caller. Hang up and take time to contact Halifax EMC and verify information.
- Beware of third-party payment sites such as doxo.com. Although sites such as this are legitimate, they charge a payment processing fee. Also, many Halifax EMC members have experienced situations where the payment was sent to the wrong utility or sent late resulting in a late fee charge. Members should visit halifaxemc.com to make bill payments. We do NOT charge a payment processing fee.