North Carolina is one of the leading states for overall damage from hurricanes, and any part of our state can be impacted by these storms, as many of our communities have experienced firsthand in recent years.
Here are some things you should do to prepare:
- Outline a communications and evacuation plan for your family. If you have pets or any livestock, include them in your plan.
Create an emergency kit that includes:
- Important documents sealed in a watertight plastic bag
- Enough non-perishable food, water and medication for at least three days
- First-aid kit
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
- Personal hygiene items
- Extra clothes and blankets
- Food and other supplies for pets
- Connect with us on Facebook to stay informed about outages and other storm information. Keep our outage reporting number handy:
- Sign up for local weather alerts and warnings. You can also visit ReadyNC or download the free ReadyNC app for tips for preparing for natural disasters, as well as real-time weather and traffic information.