Always call 811 before you start any project that requires digging. It’s a free call and a free service that will help you avoid injury, death, and very expensive repair fees.
One easy phone call to 811 starts the process to get your underground utility lines marked for free. When you call 811 from anywhere in the country, your call will be routed to your local One Call Center. Local One Call Center operators will ask you for the location of your digging job and route your call to appropriate utility providers including electric, gas, cable TV, telephone, water, and sewage entities. A professional locator will be sent to your location to mark your lines within a few days. Once your underground lines have been marked, you will know the approximate location of your utility lines and can dig safely.
During your call to 811, you will be asked a series of questions designed to help pinpoint the location of your project.
Please have the following information ready when you call 811
- Phone number
- Address (including the county)
- Is it inside or outside city limits?
- Is it in a subdivision?
- A cross-street name (nearest intersecting street & is it within a 1/4 mile)
- Where exactly is the area you wish to have located? (are you marking the area with white paint or flags)
- Work date, time, how long will the work take, what type of work is it, and who is it for